The Neisser stain determines which bacteria stores polyphosphate granules and which do not.
Solution 1 - 2 parts Methylene Blue to 1 part Crystal Violet. (This solution is only stable for 1 month therefore it is advisable to make small volumes depending on sample throughput)
Solution 2 - 1% w/v Bismarck Brown. (alternatively Chrysiodine may also be used) (Store all solutions in a dark bottle)
1. Prepare smears on your slide. (Do not heat fix)
2. Flood the slide with Solution 1 for 20 seconds.
3. Rinse the slide with water for ~10 seconds.
4. Flood with Solution 2 for 1 minute.
5. Rinse with water.
6. Blot dry.
7. View at 1000x microscopy.
Blue/Violet = Positive Result
Yellow/Brown = Negative Result